When I was born my mother was known as Phillis Smith and I took the name of Smith too. As enslavement continued through the 1800s, African American culture included naming practices that were national in scope by the time of emancipation, and intimately related to the slave trade. This mini-lesson helps students define the term, learn what forms reparations can take, and consider what reparations should be offered for slavery and other racist policies. I am searching for information about a woman named Eliza Ellis, from Versailles KY or that area. 41. Slavery was coexistent with the founding in 1670 of the first permanent colony in South Carolina, and early official records occasionally contain the names of slaves.3 An inventory of the estate of Francis Jones in 1693 lists 'a negro man Jack' and 'a negro Woman name Jugg.'4 An inventory of the Thank you. If the former slave had been befriended or assisted in getting established after the Civil War, they might have taken that persons name. James: (M) (Latin origin) means "heel" or "supplanter". Surnames (not always those of former owners) would then be adopted as family names by former slaves and their descendants. I was only three years old when she died. The practice was common until its abolition in 1865 with the end of the Civil War and the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution.. For the time being, we are using this as the Slavery Plantation umbrella or portal. Aruba Congo Bob D'Sean Latoya Dilsy Lopez Lunah African Emmaline Ebo Mema Milla Kyser Ibo Medwin Oilsay Cupad Viney Centere Minta Zoruba Tyzer Nefar Phiba LaVaughn Congo Bob Ladia Ikbo Abah Medger Bossy Shand Cufee Uri Zulu jenee Sorce Tomm Dedib Slave Names Of The 1800's Cena Billah Quarker Lamoney Minba Geto Tonesia Zulu Jana Brutis Some of these examples come from the wonderful book, Voices of Emancipation: I served [in the War] as Henry Lock, the Lock being my old Massas name but since the War I have taken name of Rollie., [Edward] was owned by Drury Stovall and went by the name of Edward Stovall. I was only three years old when she died. . 77th U.S. Col Inf and Co. D. U.S. Col H Art under the name Lewis Smith which was the name I wore before the days of slavery were over. They cut it off from OCTAVIA. For him, this meant claiming his new identity as a freedman and a citizen. Bernard Meaning: brave warrior Origin: French 4. Students learn about the period of violence in the South from 1873-1876 and examine its role in influencing elections and ending Republican control of Southern state governments. I also meant to email you and tell you how I enjoyed your article in the last NGSQ. -Elbert Hubbard, "Families are like fudge; mostly sweet with a few nuts." How did you ever come by the name of "Mollie"? Q. See flier for more details. The campaign in Britain to abolish slavery began in the 1760s, supported by both black and white abolitionists. Please share, in the comments below, examplesyou have come across of the surnames of enslaved people, especially if it was different from their last slaveholder. Emphasizes the giving and repeated use of names as a performative act of domination. I also have a Slavery and Freedom Collection available for $20. Also included here are common names among slaves, many of which were classical and had ties to the Bible or mythology, such as Keziah and Venus. However, many African Americans faced a problem when they applied for their pensions. 19. I worked for him as nurse for his children, and my full and correct name was OCTAVIA, but the family could not "catch on" to that long name and called me "LOTTIE" for short. Surely the hundreds of black Culbert people living today cannot all be connected to those three cases. Thomas mother, younger brothers and sisters remained with the Black family. Claudia Bautista,Santa Monica, Calif. You must have JavaScript enabled to use this form. The Missouri Compromisealso referred to as the Compromise of 1820was an agreement between the pro- and anti-slavery factions regulating slavery in the western territories. The population was more than 16 million and the industrial revolution was under way, which debunks any perception of a broadly colonial society. Five of the slaves were sold to the Washingtons and brought to Wessyngton. Such resistance signified continual deep-rooted discontent with the condition of bondage and, in some places, such as the United States, resulted in ever-more-stringent mechanisms for social control and repression in slaveholding areas. Others who wanted no connection to their former owners used surnames like Freeman or Freedman. A. I was first called by that name in the family of Col. Morrow in whose service I was in Louisville, Ky., just after the war. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries African-American slaves retained Africanisms in their naming practices. I am a farmer. And again, as a white Southerner whose ancesters were NOT slaveowners, your blog is helping me to understand the real and horrible legacy of the peculiar institution. New surnames were created from a local regions name such as Smithfield the name taken might be Smith or Field. This is such a well-written and informative post one that I know will open many eyes to the complexity of slave surnames, as well as many other aspects of the lives of the enslaved. Wesley is one of a group of W-starting surname names reminiscent of the Old West that are making a comeback -- though it's not as well used as it was in the 1970s, when he ranked as high as Number 66. Part of what drives me in this research, I think, is the feeling that I am reclaiming their stories, their names, and their very being, even if what I uncover is just a tiny bit. this page. One ancestor was known as Baber Masse, Elizabeth SENET and Elisabeth Leveille in different documents. The battle was long and hard-fought, with pro-slavery campaigners arguing that the slave trade was important for the British economy and claiming that enslaved Africans were happy and well-treated. Ref. Pinckney, Randolph, and Rutledgeappear only incidentally among any list of modern Black peoples names. Robyn. A. Lottie Smith was my name and what they called me before I met Phillip and was married to him. At her death when Thomas was ten, he was sold to Solomon Cobbs who lived nearby. Post Author: Post published: 18 avril 2022; Post Category: . They ran away, fought back, feigned illness, destroyed tools, and clung to their families. They cut it off from OCTAVIA. 18. Also, the government seemed to be in a almighty hurry to have us get names. My mother then told me my fathers name was John Barnett, a white man, and I took up the name Barnett., My mothers name was Jane and she was called Jane Nunn because she belonged to the Nunns. Dick Lewis Barnett and Phillip Fry were African American veterans of the Union Army during the Civil War. In his pension file, my great great grandmother his widow expressed that he chose his former enslaver surname because his father had been enslaved by them, too. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. In the context of The Bahamas, the surname appears to originate with Denys Rolle, an American Loyalist who re-settled on Exuma, one of the so-called Out Islands of The Bahamas, sometime in the mid-1780s. 2023 The Voice of the Black Community in California. Names from the Bible were another common practice, for given and surnames. Thank you for posing your question. Newly emancipated slaves also frequently chose new first names, discarding those associated with slavery. Evidence indicates that many enslaved parents named their children after the first generation or so of family members brought to America. Brief, but stimulating and thoughtful for students coming new to the subject. Spanish areas had male Slave names as Francisco, Pedro, and Antonio; and for females: Maria, Isabella, and Juana. 30 January 2022, [PAST EVENT], Eastern Standard Time: Join special guest genealogist Taneya Y. Koonce and I as we present our joint Zoom webinar, Organize Your Genealogy! There are so many examples of every kind of scenario, and I think it just speaks to the variety of experiences our ancestors had. Hello Names. 13 March 2022, 1-2:30pm [PAST EVENT], Eastern Standard Time: Cant find some of your ancestors in the census? Recognizable patterns of change in names and naming practices are evident from the mid-eighteenth century to the early nineteenth century and on through the 1860s. Who called you by that name and where was it done? Injurious Names: Naming, Disavowal, and Recuperation in Contexts of Slavery and Emancipation. In The Anthropology of Names and Naming. After emancipation, they all used the Terry surname because their families had been with the white Terry family for generations. Practices undoubtedly varied, and different archival sources may yield different conclusions. This article is from the Encyclopedia of North Carolina edited by William S. Powell. My full name is Dick Lewis Barnett. . So I asked my mother and she told me my father John Barnett, a white man, and I took up the name of Barnett . Minerva is the long-neglected name of the Roman goddess of wisdom and invention, the arts and martial strength, one of the. Students learn about President Andrew Johnson and the Congressional Republican's conflicting visions of how to rebuild the nation after the Civil War. However, research byLisa D. Cook and colleagueshas revealed evidence of racialized names from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Q. ", "No matter what you've done for yourself or for humanity, if you can't look back on having given love and attention to your own family, what have you really accomplished? Each is present in your body. I have gotten so many requests over the years from those who couldn't make the live webinars so I hope you enjoy this new feature. Alfred Francis Russell (1817-1884), 10th President of Liberia. ", "Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city;)", "Where does the family start? I took the name of Jackson for the reason that I preferred to go by my fathers name, rather than the name of my last owner.. Going back a decade to the 1850 Slave Schedule, both William Wood and Samuel O. Picked by several celebrities (a couple of times even for a girl), adding up to an enthusiastically recommended choice. Hi Jann, Love you, Is this the same woman Eliza I see living with Thomas Crenshaw in 1880 and 1900? This is common. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. An 's' at the end of a personal name also meant 'son of', for example Richards, Stevens, Williams and so on. I made up my mind I'd find me a different one. Popular English baby names by decade - 1840s - 1990s 1840s 5 Robert - 53 Margaret - 47 The 1860s first saw the Rimmers' use of 1870s Boys Girls Total registered births - 1,944 1 John - 160 Mary - 151 The 1870s first saw the Rimmers' use of What was the first girl's name in the 1900s? On the U.S. Federal census that year, Wesley's birthplace was recorded as Alabama, the same as his father, and his mother's birthplace was South Carolina . 44. This unique-sounding French last name means 'bold' or 'daring'. I liked the name better than Octavia, and so I took it with me to Danville, and was never called anything else there than that name. By country & year of birth. Cora: We first fell in love with this short baby girl's name from Downton Abbey, but Cora was already popular in the 1800s, meaning 'maiden' or 'good'. Olympic speed skater Apolo Anton Ohno might inspire some parents. I love that your example shows two brothers, who came to different conclusions about their surnames. For more information or to contact an Oxford Sales Representative click here. In order to receive their pensions decades later, these former soldiers and their family members had to demonstrate to the government that they were who they claimed to be. Now, that parent's surname could very well be the surname of the most recent slaveholder or an earlier slaveholder. 1760-1810 Persons declared to be "white by law" or "free" (part 1), (part 2) at Jamaican Family Search Genealogy Research Library. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one", "Friends are God's apologies for relations. I belonged to him until emancipation. Wonderful to have first hand account that help shine light on the attitudes of our ancestors. This page is currently showing names ranked from 1 to 1000. Rodriguez (Rodriguez is Spanish for the son of Rodrigo. I love to hear from my readers. Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture. Many Welsh surnames follow this pattern, with Jones (from 'John's son) being the most common. Gerald, however, is a Germanic name meaning ruler) 2. In Greek mythology, Daphne was the nymph daughter of Peneus, a river god. Thomas Black Cobbs was owned by a small slave owner Catherine Black. Where did you get the maiden name of Smith from? There has been much debate among scholars, historians and genealogists whether enslaved African Americans used the surnames of their last owners, previous owners, or a surname that had no connection to slavery. No, I don't know to whom she belonged before she was brought from Virginia to Kentucky. In 1870, all of them were listed with the surnames of their last owner; however, each one of them named their sons for one of their brothers. FamilySearch Centers. ", "The great gift of family life is to be intimately acquainted with people you might never ever introduce yourself to had life not done it for you. He was a slave owner and, in 1800 as Chief Justice of New Brunswick, he supported slavery in defiance of British practice at the time. Enslaved people often transferred such names to later generations in modified form or relied on African naming traditions, such as "day names" or names reflecting the order of birth among siblings. Renate, In fact, it's not even past. A 2nd great grandmother for example was baptised Sarah Charlotte Chase; her mother is recorded as being Ann Lewis Chase. Harris: A patronymic meaning son of Harry. Finding the Slave Who Bore Philomene Daurat. There is also another historian, Gwendolyn Midlo Hall who did work on African ethnicities in Louisiana, you can read more of that here if you havent seen that yet: http://whitneyplantation.com/the-louisiana-slave-database.html, Again, I applaud you for doing the research on the history of the areas where your ancestors livedmany researchers dont realize how crucial that understanding is. Thank you for your comment, Where did you get the maiden name of Smith from? Through a video-based activity, students examine Americas struggle for a stronger democracy during Reconstruction and today. Another common way of distinguishing people would be 'son of', for example Johnson (son of John), Richardson, Wilson, Harrison etc. I mean, really retro. Is this the work of the evil spirits or from my bad karma? Is this my fate!To worsen matters, a given new European label applied only to one aspect of the nature (whereas his/her original name referred to a total identity) of the enslaved and this was an effective way to try to fragment a victims mindset. Edited by Gabriele vom Bruck and Barbara Bodenhorn, 178-199. . Besides the Morrows, whom else did you live with in Louisville? . i did a simple search of the 1860 slave schedule using the name Culbert and came up with slaveholders in MS,VA,NC,AL,GA and SC holding 17 enslaved people. They called me OCK. Testimony of Dick Lewis Barnett, May 17, 1911: I am 65 years of age; my post office address is Okmulgee Okla. The Washingtons of Wessyngton Plantation: Stories of My Familys Journey to Freedom is proudly powered by WordPress Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS). A great and timely article. I was called mostly Lewis Smith till after the war, although I was named Dick Lewis SmithDick was the brother of John Barnett whom I learned was my father . LOTTIE had been the name of the nurse before me and so they just continued that same name.
Iatf, Alert Level Guidelines 2022, Mali Music And His Wife, Articles C