After doing this hike I now know why people climb mountains, the sense of accomplishment is beyond words! Adding microspikes to your shoes will help in keep best traction with snow (highly recommended). He is most certainly at the peak facing Westward. Soon we heard the rushing water of San Antonio Falls, a yearly flowing waterfall. HIKE DATE: Saturday, September 21, 2019 LATH HIKE LEADS: Carol Martinez & Janiece Cordova MEETING TIME: 5:00am - 5:15am Please be on time. 0.5 miles: At the waterfall lookout, the Baldy fire road begins. Baldy in the Summer #mtbaldy #mtsanantonio #hiking #mountainclimbing #sixpackofpeaks #socalhiking #socal #solohiker #femalehiker #outdoors". (When this trail is covered in ice and snow, you need crampons and an ice axe.). Harwood. That snow covered area in the distance is Mt Baldy's lower, Western Summit. I started to notice something else as we ascended towards the backbone, I realized how much I was in the moment on this hike, how I hadnt thought about the regular concerns of the day, lifes worries, the what ifs and the I should of, would of could ofs that most of us contemplate in our daily lives. Antonio (Mt. Baldy, San Gabriel Mountains, California Hiking Boots/Shoes withgood grip (Required) 11 miles: You have returned to the trailhead. Exit Baseline Road, Claremont from the 210 FWY only. Hand Warmers (Optional) a 74 year old Korean man who makes the trek to the summit of Baldy two times per week. Trailhead, September 2012. Just did this hike yesterday. Harwoods ridgeline trail, follow it to the Harwoods peak while it parallels the Backbone below, or you can always scramble up the scree. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." 32. You can do it! When the path levels off, the Devils Backbone Trail becomes a narrow ridgeline spine with significant drop-offs on each side. Objective: Summit Mt. The elevation gain is the same as the San Antonio Ski Hut Trail and the distance is probably about the same. The other thing I wanted to do at the summit is find the coveted MT SAN ANTONIO BALDY 10,064 plaque and have my picture taken with my son standing hovering over it. Thank you. ( University of Missouri Libraries ) Services . Peak Elevation: 10,064 Baldy Photo Presentations: Hike 6-12-04 28 photos with captions. Difficulty: Strenuous. What were the tips from pro hikers? 1.7 miles: Take the northern trail along the ridge to Mt. Baldy Road. This is a good training for anyone preparing for more advanced hikes such as Mt. Hello there Will. GEAR REQUIREMENTS: WATER (at least 3 liters). Poway, CA, Hike it! Scarf or Facemask Was extremely windy yesterday, but . San Antonio also offers the chance for the group to consult with one another as to the best route down the mountain. By now the legs and lungs have grown accustomed to the steady ascent and hanging in there very well. http://latrailhikers.com/about/hike-levels/, https://www.facebook.com/latrailhikers/events, http://socalhiker.net/hiking-mt-san-antonio-baldy-loop-trail/, http://www.modernhiker.com/2007/11/22/hiking-mount-san-antonio-mount-baldy-and-mount-harwood/, http://www.everytrail.com/guide/mt-san-antonio-baldy-loop, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_San_Antonio. Turn North (right) on Padua, follow for a mile to the light. http://latrailhikers.com/about/hike-levels/, HIKE RSVP: Mt Baldy and Devils Backbone Trail Report May 31st, 2020, return via Sierra Ski Hut Trail. Mount Baldy via Devils Backbone Trail in the San Gabriel Mountains, The Best Way to Summit Mount Baldy! (Instructions for making a reservation when the Ski Hut is open, can be found here.). WATER CHECK WILL BE PERFORMED. Turn right onto Mt. Walk past the locked gate of Falls Road and follow the dirt road for almost 2 miles to the ski lodge. Keep your eye on the prize and when needed the trail! If you do not take enough water or are not appropriately equipped for this hike, you will be turned away from doing this hike with us even if you show up. If he wasnt taking everyones picture with his own camera, he was offering us Korean foods he had brought to the summit with him as snacks. It follows the edge of a narrow ridge (the Devil's Backbone) and then snakes along the edge of some steep slopes. Find out more about hiking levels here: Arriving mid-afternoon at the Manker Flats Campground,which was to be our home for the next two nights, we set up camp. Baldy! 6777 Mt Baldy Rd Mt Baldy Mount Baldy, CA 91759. Get to there via the 210 FWY. (37), Comments Sam, the 74 year old, was also very impressed with our hiking sticks, two pine poles that my Son had carved from a past Christmas tree as well as a Torrey Pine branch he had found! The elevation gain is the same as the San Antonio Ski Hut Trail and the distance is probably about the same. Head east on the 210, and exit Baseline Road in Claremont. As you begin this portion of the hike, the trail seems to narrow down to a mere crossable path as it takes a roller coaster feel to it, bending, turning, dipping even slanting to what seems like a 45 degree angle. From the top of the ski lift, follow the fire road up the ridge. HIKE PREREQUISITE: Must have completed a LATH hike Level 7+ and up with no problem. 1 photo. After he conquers the pylon we continue on to Baldy Notch and soon arrive. Big Laguna Trail Loop: Trail loop provides tour of mountain landscapes, Doctors tell Us How Hiking Can Change Our Brains, Don't be a rescue statistic bring water on hike. Hardwood, and down past the ski resort to the valley floor. If you drive beyond Manker Flat for about a mile, the road ends at the base of the ski lifts. If you happen to find it, please email me at dr_feng@yahoo.com. In reality, it is probably better to do this hike without your dog. Literally, you straddle with one leg on one side and the other leg on the other side of the ridge. These are horseshoe-shaped piles of stone that are just high enough (2-3 feet) to protect campers from the wind. One of these five really made an impression not only on us but everyone else who met him as well. This is a strenuous varation to climb Baldy, it has some nice views on both sides of the ridge and if you want some solitude from the weekend crowds, this is a good option. Devil's Backbone, Mt. From the trail-head start to this point we covered the 3.6 miles in two hours with an elevation gain of 2000 ft. From Baldy Notch you get a very clear, vivid and quite frankly intimidating view of your destination, the ridge line of the Devils Backbone and off in the distance the summit of Mt. Not my choice, as I was lost in a whiteout) and summertime (May 22, 2020. We can carpool/caravan fromthe meeting point. For the easiest route, follow the access road leading toward the top of the left-side ski lifts. The trail is almost completely unmarked, except by use, so first-time visitors should have a detailed map -- or at least study one at the Visitor Center. Road will dead end into the ski area parking lot. Baldy Village. Mt Baldy - via Devil's Backbone HIKE NAME: Mt. Good description of hiking Mt Baldy via the Devils Backbone Trail. GETTING THERE: As we approached the San Gabriel Mountains we saw off in the distance the ominous silhouette of Mt. My family had a wonderful and memorable experience at California's last family owned ski resort; Aren't we lucky to have this treasure within 2 hours of San Diego and Los Angeles. Harwood (0.2 miles further). From there, you walk down the rest of the ridge and meet the normal Devils Backbone Trail on your left, continuing to traverse Mt. For a more challenging hike to the top, check out the guide for hiking to Mt. Harwood. 4.5 miles: You have reached Mt. We decided to ascend on the ski hut trail and come down on the devil's backbone so we can enjoy a loop. Apparently an 11.2-mile hike is not enough for his 22-year-old body! If you have them, gaiters will help keep snow out of your socks/show opening. HIKE REQUIREMENTS: Must have completed another LATH Level 7, 8, 9 hike prior to this hike. However, the real challenging part of the Devils Backbone is not on the Devils Backbone Trail per se, which dodges the most difficult and the most perilous area of the Devils Backbone Ridge. There is a use trail that goes up to the right, follow this up onto the ridge. Im imagining its like a regular ski lift that comes up behind you and you sit on it. PARKING PERMIT (REQUIRED): Adventure Pass: $5 Day, or $30 annual. The Devil's Back Bone, connecting the top of the hill where the ski cable car ends with the Harwood Mountain, is a ridge with steep slopes on both sides. Harwood via Ski Hut Trail, May 30, 2015. Another perk of climbing to the summit of Baldy, is the camaraderie you enjoy with total strangers who share only one thing in common to this point, hiking to the summit of Mt. Riding the Mt. Cheddar Poppers. Yelp users havent asked any questions yet about Devil's Backbone. 11 miles: You have returned to the trailhead. The hike to the summit of Mt. There is a white gate and blue porta-potty to landmark the start. Baldy, San Gabriel Mountains, California As we hiked the trail we came across the hiker who had taken a picture of my son and I on the summit. This man is totally amazing, never mind for a 74 year old, but for anyone who takes on Mt. Using the Google Earth "Measure" Function and measuring from a topo map the fire road from Manker Flats to Baldy Notch is about 3.25 miles (one-way). Sierra Club Ski Hut Trek Highlights. Look for a rusted register box on the right side of the trail. RECOMMENDED: Extra water besides the two liters in the hydration systems, one or two half-liter bottles of water, Extra food, Extra clothing, and Sun protection- sun screen- lip sun block sun hat- sun glasses Gloves. Please try to have this prior to the day of the hike. As you descend to the east, the route splinters into several steep use trails. Harwood, continuing toward a saddle between Mt Baldy and Mt Harwood. The 210 FWY brings you closer to the Mountain and less city driving. Baldy. Some hikers choose to go this route in order to find a WWII fighter plane that had crashed in the mountains after getting lost in the fog during a training mission back in he day. Not far from Los Angeles, this trail is heavily trafficked. The narrow trail climbs north straight up the side of San Antonio Canyon. Baldy Ski Lifts to Baldy Notch eliminates a 2.3 mile one-way (1,500 gain) from the ski lift parking lot. The East face of Mt. Baldy Ski Lifts parking lot. Required fields are marked *, Notice: It seems you have Javascript disabled in your Browser. The Notch also has 600 zip lines that are 70 above the ground. Find homes for sale, market statistics, foreclosures, property taxes, real estate news, agent reviews, condos, neighborhoods on Blockshopper.com My legs were weathering the hike fairly well, it was my feet that were taking the pounding and definitely felt every mile we have done to this point. There is no serious danger during the day in the summer, but the trail could be difficult at night or in snow. After a good nights sleep we set out at 7:30am. DEVIL'S BACKBONE - 199 Photos & 62 Reviews - 6777 Mt Baldy Rd, Mount Baldy, CA - Yelp Restaurants Home Services Auto Services Devil's Backbone 62 reviews Unclaimed Hiking Edit See 202 photos Write a review Add photo " From here, you can choose to ride the lift down or hike another 3 miles down to " in 7 reviews The spine-tingling hike along a tantalizing spine starts from Baldy Notch. Although dogs may be allowed in the area, we request no pets join us for this higher level hike. San Antonio (aka Mt Baldy) Loop via Devils Backbone. Eventually, the climb up the SE Ridge meets the Baldy Notch Trail, just SE of the summit of Mt.
Army Football Coaches, San Juan College Class Schedule, How Did Carlos Die In Descendants: The Royal Wedding, Randy Of Savage Garage Net Worth, William Burke Obituary New Jersey, Articles D