When thus called upon by rightful authority to travel or do public service, be ready to go farther or do even more than is required, rather than resist the government. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. The World English Bible translates the passage as: Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. You have not lied to man but to God. When Ananias heard these words, he fell down and breathed his last. Matthew 5:41, NLT: If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles. Untie them and bring them to me. For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. V Scripture taken from the New King James Version. U And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? The Pharisees went out and immediately held counsel with the Herodians against him, how to destroy him. Do not even the [c]tax collectors do so? TopicalBible 4. 65:913; Luke 12:16, 17; Acts 14:17, Gen. 17:1; Lev. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. If you are the children of God you are partakers of His nature, and you cannot but be like Him. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. 25:40). IF not, then what would we call them? He, she, it, they, them, same. (Mark 2:15). Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Lets make Christ known to others. Kris Sorensen | Lead Pastor. " If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles." Matthew 5:41 These words of Jesus would have been profoundly disturbing to his first-century audience. I l, When Worship Is Resistance: Hymn for the 81%, On Thanksgiving: An Honest Home in the Uncomfortable Both, Making Room for Opposing the Death Penalty on the Evangelical Agenda, Abide in Me: Excerpt from Lent Reflection. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. The First Mile is Your Duty; We Are to Walk the Second Mile for Christ. But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 0 responses B. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. This is he of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way before you.. Be assured on the strength of Christs witness of His Father that God loves the devil and will therefore only bless and do him good. B Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. He gives the blessings for their good, but the perversion of them is the responsibility of those who misuse the gift. Rather, it would have struck a very real and painful nerve. It was not the writings or teachings of the heathen that Christ was disavowing here but, to all appearances, the word of God through Moses. You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. Following the Beatitudes in Matthew Five, we find Jesus telling the multitude just what kind of people God wants us to be. E THE SECOND MILE Z. Matthew 5:41, NASB: Whoeverforces you to go one mile, go with him two. There is a song, Those little things mean a lot. Nothing is as: touching as a tear, needed as a hug, rewarding as a kind deed, timely as a friend, appreciated as kindness, needed as love, tender as a touch. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. If the Lord gave one law for the people in given age and situation and subsequently changed this for later generations, then He is no better than changeable men and women who are forever modifying the laws to suit changing circumstances. Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. To the person of the world, there is no sense in Christs words. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her. Now when Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John (although Jesus himself did not baptize, but only his disciples), he left Judea and departed again for Galilee. 79). Talk about "go the second mile." The way Jesus describes it, the Way of Christ sounds like an exhausting, impossible road to walk! Theme: Showing the importance of taking the extra step. Can anyone help explain in full the meaning of Matthew 5:38-48? For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. . (verse 22). For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Why? S I am praying for them. Deepen your knowledge of Christ's journey to the Cross. It conveys the idea that there must first be the same character in the Christian as in the Father before there can be the corresponding behavior without. Labs And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 2. And he said to them, The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. If the movie industry were to prepare films depicting these principles, no one would be interested in viewing them. read more, Scripture: And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. When God commits Himself to a pledge of that nature, there is absolute assurance that He will never vary from it in the slightest degree. They prefer to work at being more powerful than their enemy so that they can hit back harder than they can be hit. When this characteristic of behavior on Gods part is seen, the last problems in understanding His character will disappear. For Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it. Early in the morning he came again to the temple. Since the grace of God is given to us, we in turn should bestow that same means and measure of grace upon others. U Jesus isnt just passively walking with the soldier; he is sharing with him and even teaching him. S If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Matthew 5:41. This explanation will be fully developed when we examine the various incidents of the Old Testament period. Brookville Road Community Church. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. In this discourse, Christ is magnifying the law. You can visualize a Jew counting his steps until he makes that last 1,000th step but not one step farther. Now when they drew near to Jerusalem and came to Bethphage, to the Mount of Olives, then Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them, Go into the village in front of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her. Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect (Matthew 5:43-48). He may use family. He blesses him as far as it is possible for the blessings to reach him, does him good where he can, and will continue to do so for as long as Satan exits. Locations & Times. And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? This subversive act flips the power dynamic. The words are taken from the Bible. To them, there is no more frightening prospect. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Jesus said, "And whoever shall force you to go one mile, go with him two" (Matt. For it is written, You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.. 41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. They do not see that there is another and infinitely better way to deal with the rebellion than counterforce. Less than $5/mo! The Bible talks about this extra mile. The hearers evaluation of Christs presentation and position would depend then on their having a spiritual perception of what he was saying. (Matthew 5:17-20). Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. No one comes to the Father except through me. The people did obey them, confident that in so doing they were following the Lords instructions. J I When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him. Jesus answered him, Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus said to him, How can a man be born when he is old? He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Theme: Showing the importance of taking the extra step. Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. This is what I love most about the picture above. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing. What would be some verses from the Bible to save a marriage? Israel, during the time of Christ, was under Roman rule. Why did Jesus associate with disreputable people? read more, Scripture: If anyone says anything to you, you shall say, The Lord needs them, and he will send them at once. This took place to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet, saying, Say to the daughter of Zion, Behold, your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden. Then Peter came up and said to him, Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? But I tell you not to resist an evil person. nasley somerville. You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. He takes the Ten Commandments and then says to do more. (Old) And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, (new) go with him twain (two) (Matt. They will then begin to understand and testify with the words of the Bible writers: Among the gods there is none like You, O Lord; Nor are there any works like Your works. Follow Christ's journey to the Cross. Jesus gave them But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. It comes from the Sermon on the Mount context, "If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles." E Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, NT Gospels: Matthew 5:41 Whoever compels you to go one mile (Matt.
Jefferson High School Football Coaching Staff, Hospital Board Member Salary, Midland Court Apartments, Articles G