Jack Colton And I'll be there! I'm fine! : To get a 'PG' rating in the UK, a scene near the end where the villain gets his hand bitten off by a crocodile was removed. Jack Colton Jack Colton The electric onscreen chemistry between Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas in the hit 1984 action-adventure romp, Romancing the Stone, helped make the duo one of Hollywood's most iconic romantic comedy pairings. Michael Douglas this week revealed why Debra Winger lost out on starring in "Romancing the Stone" a role that ended up going to Kathleen Turner. I understand you have a car. ", "Romancing the Stone remake is still moving forward. Cuenta con una buena puntuacin en IMDb: 6.1 estrellas de 10. They teamed up for the 1989 dark comedy "The War of the Roses" and in 2021, they reunited as battling exes for Netflixs "The Kominsky Method. For a fabulous treasure, they share an adventure no one could imagine or survive. Joan Wilder That man Jack Colton You knew what would happen? [following the treasure map and coming to an apparent dead end] : : Director Robert Zemeckis went on to become one of Hollywoods major filmmakers, earning an Oscar for 1994s Forrest Gump; DP Dean Cundey worked on several more films with Zemeckis, receiving an Oscar nomination for 1988s Who Framed Roger Rabbit; and composer Alan Silvestri still collaborates with Zemeckis. Hit the road. We were on our own., The studios top choice to play Joan was Debra Winger. : 4.6 46 Ratings Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner star alongside Danny DeVito in this high-flying romance adventure. " Winger said. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. Douglas said that at a later date he and Robert Zemeckis, the films director, were at the studio and talking about the film. Joan Wilder Yeah. But Romancing the Stone was also a bear to make on location in the jungles around Veracruz and Hidalgo in Mexico where the production was beset with rain, mud and creepy crawlies. : "[9], Colin Greenland reviewed The Jewel of the Nile for White Dwarf #77, and stated that "The Jewel of the Nile is the sequel to Romancing the Stone, another adventure fantasy with just the right pinch of preposterousness. Jack Colton Joan Wilder While we were down in Mexico shooting, we found out later he was spewing all this vitriol about how were out of control and this director doesnt know what hes doing., The Cocoon producers, Zemeckis said, were hearing all of this stuff constantly coming out of Mexico. Joan Wilder Jack Colton You know how close we are? Jack Colton ROMANCING THE STONE SPECIAL EDITION and JEWEL OF THE NILE SPECIAL EDITION are new releases of these hit comic adventures starring Michael Douglas, KathleenTurner and Danny DeVito with never-before-seen deleted scenes and featurettes. While The Jewel of the Nile grossed almost as much as its predecessor, the film was much less successful critically and effectively killed the franchise. : : What are you doing? " Romancing the Stone " looks like a fun adventure romp onscreen, but making the Michael Douglas - Kathleen Turner movie that turns 35 this week was no stroll through the jungle. Winger, who had trained withthe Chicago Cubs for three months for the role, said the actors did not train long enough to look convincing playing baseballon screen except for Lori Petty and Davis who"did OK,"she admits. Yeah. : (Michael Douglas), a man who could have stepped straight out of one of her novels.Though his good looks and intrepid moves dazzle her, Joan quickly sees Jack for the cheap opportunist . Me, in 1996, Durban, South Africa, getting ready to watch the first ever WWE (then "WWF") live tour to South Africa. Joan & Jack I Romancing the Stone I Adventure Movie Film to Film 727 subscribers Subscribe 150 36K views 1 year ago Romancing the Stone (1984) Cast: Starring Michael Douglas as Jack T.. Jack, Joan, and Al-Julhara arrive to expose Omar but are captured. : When the movie was over, I said to my agent who gave me the script, who is now my partner Jack Rapke if another script ever comes across your desk that has a slug line in it that says Exterior. I watched it and Jewel of the Nile all the time on VHS. : American Express? A Lost City viewer might look at that name and do a double-take. The film is dedicated to the memory of Dawking and Coates, as well as screenwriter Diane Thomas, who had died in an automobile accident six weeks before the film's release. Joan Wilder Douglas, who was a producer for the film, went back to the studio days after the toothy interaction, which he said "broke the skin," and told executives that he didn't think he could work with Winger. Free shipping for many products! : Joan Wilder : At the time, Winger was one of the most sought-after actresses in Hollywood after starring in 1982s "An Officer and a Gentleman" with Richard Gere. Joan Wilder Jack Colton Jack Colton : Follow that stone! While moored at a port in the South of France, Joan, suffering writer's block, wants to return to New York, while Jack prefers aimlessly sailing the world on his boat, the Angelina. But Jack if we have to give it up to save Elaine? Yup, that poor old yellow-tailed guy developed a fatal case of indigestion. Danny DeVito. : ", "RCA SelectaVision VideoDisc FAQ - Why did RCA abandon further development of the CED system in April 1984? Yes, Michael Douglas was born into Hollywood royalty. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Turner will play one of Douglas ex-wives, who is a physician with Doctors Without Borders. Joan Wilder Then you know how they all end. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. : No, lady. I'll meet you there! Turner was so hot in that movie - really gorgeous. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. [ducking bullets behind a boulder] Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. : Joan Wilder Kathleen Turner ultimately landed the role in the Robert Zemeckis romance film. that movie was absolutely amazing, when you were going to the theater for a night out, in 1984. Michael Douglas has claimed Debra Winger was lined-up to play Kathleen Turner's role in Romancing The Stone - but she lost the role after biting him. Jack Colton : Look! : : The electric onscreen chemistry between Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas in the hit 1984 action-adventure romp, Romancing the Stone, helped make the duo one of Hollywood's most iconic. Romancing the Stone has generally received positive reviews. When Jack swings across the river on a vine, the "rock" face he swings into deforms slightly, betraying its padded construction. Of course we give it up. The Jewel of the Nile sends its characters off on a new adventure in a fictional African desert, in an effort to find the fabled "Jewel of the Nile". Had somebody been standing there, theyd have been covered with mud, or injured.. Where are you going? ", "He (Douglas) originally intended to have Debra Winger in the role of Joan, but they didn't seem to get along as well as he'd hoped," Turner wrote. : It was really a boys club, but they let me in because Im a tomboy., That willingness to get muddy came in handy when Turner had to do a scene that involved walking through a marshy area filled with gators. This river is the main water supply for many villages. : "In other words, I collected my pay even though I did not play, and thats very hard to get in a court.". Zolo : I love the ocean. Filming & Production [seeing something on the map] . Kirk, 101, is an American actor, producer, director, and author. "We walk out and just as you'd kind of go 'Oh, you' and give somebody a little punch in the armlike a joke, she goes 'Oh, you,' and bites me in the arm," Douglas said. I could've been killed, and you're drinking! Directors Robert Zemeckis Starring 2:14. Yeah, well, landmarks change, things grow, all that stuff, you know? Zemeckis and Douglas reportedly met with Winger in Texas while she was in the middle of shooting Terms of Endearment., She comes out for us to have a dinner one night and we all have dinner together and we are talking and knocking back some tequilas and this and that, Douglas said. You kind of go, 'Is that true?' Jungle. Hey! Oh, marijuana. Six months after the events in Romancing the Stone, Joan Wilder's (Kathleen Turner) and Jack Colton's (Michael Douglas) romance has grown stale. The following day, Jack and Joan are married by Al-Julhara. Her role in Steve Martins 1983 comedy The Man with Two Brains helped turn her image towards comedy. About five to life in the States, a couple of centuries down here. Character. : Hi. I'm telling you, this is turning out to be one hell of a morning. Joan Wilder So, you're just gonna sail away? Angel, you are hell and gone from Cartagena. Jack Colton After her sister is kidnapped by thugs amidst their search for a priceless gem in the Colombian jungle, a romance novelist (Turner) realizes that her own life is in danger! But, I couldn't get over that ocean, though, you know. I've never been anybody's best time. I could've been a cosmetic surgeon, five hundred thou a year, up to my neck in tits and ass. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. Well, I'm a romance novelist. Jack Colton Joan accepts and leaves with Omar over Jack's protests. What do you call this I'm living in, a pigsty? Oh. She bit me in the arm. [looks at the picture of the yacht, then back at Jack] Against all odds, this is a sequel as enjoyable and endearing as the original. Jack Colton Joan Wilder "They met to discuss it at a Mexican restaurant, and she bit him, or so he said.". If I were to die, there's nowhere on earth I'd rather be. Joan Wilder Another bus? : A fire breaks out, engulfing Omar's stage. . : Joan Wilder . What are you doing here? Douglas landed his first leading man role in Romancing the Stone (1984), portraying Jack Colton, an Indiana Jones-type adventurer. | Eventually, Douglas was able to hire himself. Jack Colton It was also released in other media formats.[16]. "I cant go into the jungle with her, she bit me! : Jack Colton podcast. Jack Colton Awesome adventure-comedy with romantic undertones. Whoo-hoo-hoo! I even read one of your books. "I break down in tears and say 'I can't go to the jungle with her, she bit me, look, she bit me in the arm,'" Douglas said. And after making Jewel in the Nile and DeVitos dark 1989 comedy War of the Roses, Douglas and Turner are reuniting for an episode of The Kominsky Method, Netflixs award-winning comedy series starring Douglas and Alan Arkin. It was just great, Douglas said, of shooting the Season 2 episode. Is "Romancing the Stone" based on a book. Jack Colton We looked across the road and the cliff had slid down and covered half the road. Jack Colton Now, you just head towards the sunset, and you'll make it! And yes, his first big break came when Kirk Douglas acquired and gifted the film rights to Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to his then twenty-something son, who really hadn't done much with his life up to that point. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. : Zolo I read all your books! ", Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner appeared in several projects together. [the crocodile proceeds to scissor off Zolo's hand, swallowing the stone with it, leaving a bloody stump behind. Winger was the studios top choice to star in the film as Joan Wilder, a romance novelist who falls in love with a bird hunter (Douglas) while on an adventure in the Colombian jungle. : Wait a minute, he's after you. With El Corazon in your pocket. Michael Douglas says he's never been in psychotherapy, and he doesn't engage in self-analysis. : A dowdy romantic-adventure writer is hurled into a real-life adventure in the Colombian jungle in order to save her sister, who will be killed if a treasure map is not delivered to her captors. Arista released a soundtrack album on record, cassette and compact disc. I thought you were donating a kidney or something. : : The actress eventually landed the part. : : What the hell are you doing? The alligator took the guys hand and spun and took him down and under.. I knew that from the first moment I laid eyes on you. Jack Colton [Jack shows off his new crocodile skin boots made from the crocodile he has killed]. : Ralph But then, the "Fatal Attraction" star claimed that on the way out, the actress leaned over and bit his arm. Jack later runs into Ralph (Danny DeVito), the swindler from Jack and Joan's previous adventure in Colombia, who demands Jack turn over the stone Jack and Joan found. The film follows a New York City . What a ride, huh? But it takes so much to convince them., She described making the movie as really fun. : Variety has reached out to Wingers representative for comment. He . I knew it! : [Jack and Joan find the stone in a cave] : Yeah sure I do. Hell yeah. And just to throw some salt into that - Michael Douglass wife of a decade, Catherine Zeta Jones: Heres hoping that he successfully overcomes cancer, but regardless, he had led a hell of a life. (Getty Images), "Im like, Aaargh!" Douglas recalled. What does Ralph call his cousin Ira right before he hangs up the phone when he spots Joan in the village? What, the one without the bridge? [pause] : It won the Golden Globe for best comedy or musical, and Turner took home the Globe for best actress in a comedy or musical. Zobacz wybrane przez nas produkty dla hasa romancing the home decor": unikatowe, personalizowane i rcznie robione przedmioty z naszych sklepw. Romancing the Stone is an important milestone in Douglas' career for a couple of reasons. In The Crimson Eagle, Jack and Joan take their two teenage kids to Thailand where they are blackmailed into stealing a priceless statue. Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas in "Romancing the Stone," 1984. Thank you! A spokesperson for Winger didnt immediately respond to Fox News Digitals request for comment. The most 80s pic of my childhood, maybe of anybody's. 127. Interestingly, Douglas brings up the fact that the reason he played the role was simply because he couldn't find another leading actor who wanted to do it. The film, released in 1984, cast Kathleen Turner opposite. Joan Wilder Market data provided by Factset. : : What do you care? "When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going", performed by Billy Ocean, and "The Jewel of the Nile", performed by Precious Wilson, play during the film and in the end credits respectively. All rights reserved. Whatever's at the end of this map is your sister's life. Jack Colton The film was later passed '12' uncut in the UK in 2001. We were looking for him, said Douglas. . You see here where it says this El Corazon is hidden in Cordoba province? Choke on it. is josh keaton related to michael keaton. I'm great. Michael Douglas claimed that Debra Winger was replaced by Kathleen Turner after a bizarre incident. : [sarcastic] I loved those movies. How about Miami? [5] Location shooting took place at Villefranche-sur-Mer and the Palais des Festivals et des Congrs, Cannes, France, Ait Benhaddou near Ouarzazate[6] and Meknes, Morocco, among other locations, including Zion National Park, Springdale, Utah. Shortly after, an Arab, Tarak (Paul David Magid), informs Jack about Omar's true intentions and claims that Omar has the "Jewel of the Nile"; just as Tarak finishes his explanations, the Angelina explodes from a bomb set by one of Omar's men. I promise you we'll do that. Jack Colton I'm what? Mm-hmm. (Sunset Boulevard/Corbis via Getty Images). You got the map! Joan Wilder Jack Colton Jack Colton Why haven't you taken the map away from me? Now move it, before Batman comes home. Michael Douglas aims a Holland & Holland Double Rifle as Charles Remington in The Ghost and the Darkness (1995). Jack Colton [3] I knew I couldn't depend on you! : Joan Wilder $7.65. Joan Wilder She. I saw that tree today, the Devil's Fork, it's on the map. Joan Wilder I think I'm going to throw another key on the fire. It was, 'Ill do this if youll do that.' It was frustrating."[11]. It would have been a good commercial.. Jack Colton Michael Douglas is revealing that Debra Winger was set to star in "Romancing the Stone," but in a way, she bit her chances goodbye. 2023 Variety Media, LLC. 15 days ago. $9.00. She's a girl from the big city. : I need to get to Cartagena. : Stop! Zolo catches the emerald before it falls into the water]. ' The actor said the studio executives agreed not to cast Winger, thus opening the door for Turner to take the part. Market data provided by Factset. About only about two months later, she got killed in the car.. I said, Like thats going to happen. And they end up cutting the whole damn scene after I did it., As the producer of this show, I was so appreciative of Kathleen, said Douglas. Joan Wilder Jack Colton Joan Wilder Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner on the set of "Romancing the Stone," which was directed by Robert Zemeckis. After they saw the movie, they wanted to hire me back on Cocoon. I just sort of kind of politely declined after that.. The New York Times opened its review by writing, "There's nothing in The Jewel of the Nile that wasn't funnier or more fanciful in Romancing the Stone. No, senor, see we Juan Filming in North Africa was dogged with problems from unbearable 120-degree-Fahrenheit heat to problems with the local crew but the most troubling concern was that the director showed that he was not up to the task of helming an action film. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Joan Wilder He really kept saying to the studio, I really want the energy thats in Used Cards to be in this movie. There was a sort of feeling of we were all on a mission., There was an innocence about the production with all of us, said Douglas. It's beautiful. : Jack Colton In the end, being only three weeks behind schedule was a minor triumph for Douglas. You're what? : Who told you that? Turner is famed for her roles in Body Heat, The Man with Two Brains, Crimes of Passion, Romancing the Stone, and Prizzi's Honor, the latter two incomes her a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress . The one without the bridge! Romancing The Stone combined a fun adventure with the potent chemistry between Turner and Douglas, and while the studio expected little from it, it turned out to be a surprise hit. Juan [14], As with the first film, the novelization of the sequel was credited to Joan Wilder, the character played by Kathleen Turner; both books were actually ghostwritten by Catherine Lanigan. For her role as Dottie, she trained with the Chicago Cubs for three months. : Jack Colton We went back and shot that stuff and it helped her character a lot.. : Just try to look mean. Free shipping . A mousy romance novelist sets off for Colombia to ransom her kidnapped sister, and soon finds herself in the middle of a dangerous adventure hunting for treasure with a mercenary rogue. : : Three decades after they appeared together in Romancing the Stone, Michael Douglas and Danny DeVito, both 71-years-old, are still close friends. What do you mean the one without the bridge? : Jack Colton Can you tell where can I get to a telephone? : Jack Colton When Douglas eventually had to meet with the studio, he said he broke down in tears and told the executives, I cant go to the jungle with her she bit me in the arm! I cant do it! [they kiss and Joan holds Jack more tightly]. "She bites me. At least we've got the leverage to do it. [falling down a mudslide] That nice man who pulled a gun on you? : [13], The use of a General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon mockup was a key element of the main characters' escaping from a fortified town.
Zachary Knighton Net Worth, Articles H