Whether you're a hunter or a competition shooter Whidden Gunworks can manufacture Custom dies to your exact specifications and if needed can work with your gunsmith to ensure your dies are as accurate as your new rifle. The bushing sizer die allows more flexibility in the amount of neck sizing. This build started taking life last June or July. Is anybody using Whiddens custom dies? Yikes! Privacy Policy. Neck tension can only be determined by changing expander balls with the non-bushing die. That's what I look for off the bat when I gear up for a new caliber. I understand this is an old thread, but want to reply anyway, Barnes vs. Hornady vs. Quickload vs. Hodgdon, Well, Im done Adulting for Today and Tomorrow. If a bushing die is used, a bushing must be used to ensure the case is properly aligned in the die. Wilson Neck Sizing Bushings. and our Whidden Bushing Dies will accept Redding and L.E. I got a Redding standard FL die and it has been successful getting the brass back into spec. I use the Redding Type S FL bushing die, Redding shell holder, and Redding Competition Bullet Seating Die and am extremely pleased with them. I personally own and use a set of Whidden dies, and I am very, very impressed with them. Not at all impressed with Whidden. My experience isn't complete with them yet. I prefer them over my Whidden Seating dies. Upon return, we bead blast, hand polish, inspect and process for shipping so please ensure you factor in the turnaround time when ordering. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, ranges, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! With this method the amount of neck tension is determined by the size of the bushing as it is the only and last area of the die to be in contact with the neck of the case. Both the Whidden Bushing Die and Whidden Standard Die are manufactured to tolerances that exceed most expectations. I can say that on the whole my 6.5Creedmoor Forster Micrometer Bench Rest seater consistently seats a Hornady 130gr ELDM with far less runout (1-2/1000 vs 5-6/1000) than my 6.5x55 Redding Competition Seater seats a 142gr Sierra Match King on the same Forster Coax press. I like the concept of the Whidden Sniper's Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy . I'd like to get the die making process going, Whidden told me that there is a 2-3 month waiting period for the hydro forming dies. Cookie Notice Our Custom dies are the best way to ensure you are getting the most efficiency out of your reloading process while gaining maximum precision and case life longevity. Why do you think you are seeing more runout with bushing dies? OTM tactical has a decent price on Whiddens and they are usually in stock, I have a set for a 280 Sherman theyre really nice. Redding for everything other than the Lee Universal decapper. You are using an out of date browser. If you want to set neck tension with a single operation to the tension you desire youll need a bushing die. So, I am looking to buy a set of dies for a 284 Win. On the 3rd firing my ADG brass wasn't getting the web of the case sized back enough and they would stick in the chamber. The seating die that comes with the collet die set is a dead length bullet seater which I find is the best seater that comes with standard die set. I want full length resize but am open to bushing. I will likely get the Redding and use those until the whidden custom set is finished(8-10 weeks) if the Redding set does not work so well. I'm waiting to make a judgment on Whidden dies until I receive the custom die back. The sizer will accept Redding or L.E. Ended up taking the gauge back to Cabela's as there was no need for it. Snipers Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. My typical set up now is forster FL sizing die to decap, bump the shoulder, and set neck tension. I use the Redding Micrometer dies and have had good results. Some dies, mostly non bushing dies, overwork the brass causing it to be work hardened, you cant control neck tension with a non bushing die, using an expander ball is not great for runout. This increase, however, is slow and gradual and the .001" increment in bushing size is too coarse to control it. JavaScript is disabled. The Whidden Bushing Sizer allows the flexibility of neck tension should a different thickness in the neck of the brass occur from one manufacturer to another. In Stock. You can anneal more or less to control neck hardness and maintain the same seating pressure. Whidden Click Adj Fl Bushing Sizer Die As handloaders have become more aware of shoulder bump and proper adjustment of the sizer die in recent years, there has become a . Dillon Powder Die for RL 450 RL 550 XL 650. Our Custom dies will solve problems such as sticky extraction and the dreaded "Bolt click" without over . Rcbs was fine and Hornady broke the recapping rod the first time I used it for no apparent reason. I have an induction annealer and a hydraulic pressure gauge on my press. Wilson bushings. I use Redding dies for everything I own, that is until I got my 6.5 PRC. I use a lot of bushing dies with great success. The pin retainer is used to retain the decapping pin and protects the stem of the die. If you are uncertain just email a photo of the cartridge and we can make a determination. I have had more case shoulders dented with Redding dies than any other. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. What Milo says is true, the brass changes because it flows forward and the neck gradually thickens which leads to an increase in neck tension. If you call die makers they will give you the specs of the sizing die so you know what would work. In any case I believe you will need custom dies if your cartridge is the 270 AI then all should be do a great job. I understand that a FL bushing die will work the brass much less than a standard die with expander ball, but other that that, what makes Redding or Whidden worth almost 10x the cost of standard dies? Im sure it was a fluke, as many people run them without issue, but Ill stick to Redding personally. I was referring to the Custom Whidden Set vs Redding Competition. My cases come out of the die with zero run out. Haha, the hydraulic press was my next ace in the hole for those thinking they have a handle on it. Most over-resize the front portion of the case near the shoulder, and don't resize the base of the case enough, if at all. The expander ball passes through the neck of the case and sets the amount of neck tension. Proponents of them say that the floating bushing is supposed to allow the case to self center, thus improve concentricity? I run a separate expander mandrel die, for context. We understand early in a rifle build fired brass may not be available. Just did the powder dispenser as a separate step. If you want maximum precision for your favorite rounds including many wildcat rounds you need the tools we build into each one. I am saying this from first hand experience and extensive testing. I have had a set of Forster National Match 308 dies and I still have the set of forser 223 dies. I like Whidden dies. I have the Redding Competition dies for my .22-250 AI and they work great. The dies are reasonably priced too and there Micro Seating dies work great too. The Seater Die comes with a micrometer top for precise adjustments. I set up for a tiny shoulder bump-- just enough that the bolt closes easy. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Die fit can depend on what brass you run and what your chamber dimensions are. How do you feel the Hornady Match Grade sets compare with Redding? It also fully sizes the case neck fully to the shoulder for smoother functioning. Id chose Whidden over Redding any day personally. Upon return, we bead blast, hand polish, inspect and process for shipping so please ensure you factor in the turnaround time when ordering. Lake Gibson senior wrestler Gabby Tedesco (105, 9-0) is one of those Polk County wrestlers who will be competing for a state title. Whidden custom VS H. Latest Post: Pay attention to inside neck tightness or inconsistencies. That is setting neck tension with a separate part(mandrel) and a separate operation. Outdoor Hub, LLC (d/b/a Carbon Media Group), 30800 Telegraph Rd, Suite 1921, Bingham Farms, MI 48025 USA. Please read before using our Custom Sizer Die, Lead time for Custom dies is currently averaging 10 weeks. Tumble (For me, wet via STM). Should I purchase a match set or custom set. Just a shiny spot right above the neck in one spot. The non-bushing sizer die typically yields more concentric ammo in our experience. I dont believe that using or not using an expander should be generalized as a proper practice. Thats all I use and never had any issues. They produce concentric rounds and theres a lot of options for customizing in regards to expanders and seating stems. The micrometer adjustable seating die has flutes for precise hand adjustment at the loading bench. We also made a video on this subject that you can, Whidden Gunworks manufactures custom dies for you to match your exact specifications for .20 Caliber and larger. Replacement Decap Assembly Item #WHIDDCA21308. I also use Forsters Full length non bushing dies with great success, you can send them in or order from them and for a very small fee they will hone the neck to you desired size. I get that they would all serve me very well and Im splitting hairs for differences but Im still curious to see what youd go with and why. Reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers, custom dies, bullet casting equipment, powder measuring and weighing equipment, bullet seating dies New Products - Redding Reloading Equipment: reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers and SAECO bullet casting equipment I have used all except the Whidden and get good results although I am partial to Forster. Agree completely. I, however, would not be able to identify a die issue if I had one that was causing runout. IMO, well worth the extra $$$. JavaScript is disabled. The way I approached it was to find out the reamer specs (or alternatively measure fired brass) to get a sense of a starting point that I should be looking for. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. The pin was not bent so the decapping rod appears to have been bent from the factory. $121.62. With no preference on either, these types include the bushing sizer die and the non-bushing sizer die. I'm not sure who made the reamer, however the gunsmith, Olson Gunsmithing, told me that he would send a blueprint copy of the reamer if I wanted one. Once the entire batch is made, we send them out to be hardened via a carburized heat treat process to ensure a lifetime of use. Redding 6.5 Creedmoor Master Hunter Set - The Best Redding Dies 6.5 Creedmoor. 076-66387 | Redding. A good set of bushing dies allow more control. I will likely get the Redding and use those until the whidden custom set is finished(8-10 weeks) if the Redding set does not work so well. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. 3. I use nothing but the Redding dies for my competition rifle. The diameter of the expander ball will determine the neck tension. I had a custom made from my fired brass for my 300norma, as chamber is slightly different then samii. Yes. JavaScript is disabled. Out of Stock. Both the Whidden Bushing Die and Whidden Standard Die are manufactured to tolerances that exceed most expectations. If you don't like Redding, you really won't like Whidden.. my last set was a polished turd that failed to go through polishing. I have other Redding sizing dies (non-competition) where the decapping pin scribes a circle if you rotate it in your hand. Whether youre a hunter or a competition shooter Whidden Gunworks can manufacture Custom dies to your exact specifications and if needed can work with your gunsmith to ensure your dies are as accurate as your new rifle. also, choosing bushing size for redding comp set. Redding dies (and everything else Redding) used to be so much less expensive than they are these dayssigh. Your comments are laughable and many have seen the groups I shoot. This really depends on the bushing/expander relationship. Text SHOOT to (855)-240-6807 to receive exclusive news and deals! I will say right now Forster FL dies using a mandrel to set inside neck tension with Redding Mic seaters are my favorite combo . .. lk150 hat pattern. This would have to be checked out. In Stock. If it were a standard cartridge I would recommend a Redding body die to size the body and bump the shoulder back and a Lee collet die to do your neck. 7x5's work for you? Hornady seems to make a nice match die set, however Redding, who I have no experience with, is also supposed to make a good set of dies also.There are so many die companies out there to choose from. I was eyeing the Forster with micrometer but my local shop is out of stock for another 5 weeks. And I always replace the Redding locking rings with the cross screw variety (Hornady usually) to save my die's threads. It's really a toss-up. That being saidif there were anything else available in that cartridge Id save the $. These two die types are not to be confused as being interchangeable. Send them 3 fired brass from your rifle. Quite often we hear the question What is the difference between a bushing full length sizer die and a non-bushing full length sizer die and which is best?. Is there a specific caliber or do you mean all Lapua brass? I bought Redding to start but ran into major issues with the FL sizer denting the shoulder of the brass.
Dave Ramsey Leadership Summit, Did Sharks Attack Titanic Survivors, Articles W